Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Dinette table

We have now had Elly Mae for almost 4 months living in her full time. Here's my gripe. We now have on our dinette table, 2 areas where our plates sit that have now faded to white. We have the oak table - and I hate oak - and I do not pre-warm my dinner plates. I take them out of the cabinet, put supper on them and place them on the table. I do not place pots, pans or casseroles on the table.

Bernie noticed it about a month ago. It is clearly evident where our plates sit as there is a white ring. I guess when the weather clears up, we will take the table out of the rig, sand it down and refinish it. White sanding it, I am going to finish the under side of the table and sand down the corner on the outside edge as I am keeping a bruise on my left thigh from constantly hitting my leg everytime I sit down and get up.
Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We haven't had the white problem. We use place mats under the plates, have been in ours about a year and the table still looks like new. It's a cheap table true, but still looks like new cheap.

It's the same table you have..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Tammy,
When we were at an RV show last year, I spent about and hour with the factory rep from Montana and complained about the same thing, whacking my leg and knee every time I sat down. It all has to do with the leaf and swivel component. We discussed installing a piece of ply under the carpet to lift the table slightly. You might want to check that out. As far as the fading to white.....has ice formed inside??? LOL.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ken, I think you are about as nuts as I am, and coming from me, that's a great compliment!!!! No, no ice is inside yet. Yet! Good one!
Bernie has just about devised his plan of attack and is going to remove the table and install an inch "lifter" under the feet of the table to make it higher. Thus, giving my poor thigh some relief.
As for the white spots, I can get out my sewing machine and go spend some money on some fabric and sew me some place mats and/or table cloths!
Tammy
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tammy,
Eat outside for a few days. You'll then appreciate that you even have a table.

Of course, if all else fails you can start a bonfire outside to stay warm while eating.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tammy- you could always use that table for the basis of the fire that Wayne mentioned but then where would you eat? LOL Seriously, I have the same problem and the table in our 2980 wobbles too. I hate the thing and we're thinking of replacing it with one of the new ones or even a booth type dining area so we can also convert it into a bed if needed. Tacking on a small square of 2X4 could help also on the legs-- not yours of course -- the tables! I would say the rings are from the heat of the plates if you are not using placemats or a table cloth. Don't know what your table is finished with but if it's plastic, it has a tendency to warm up easily and while warm separates some, thus leaving the white area. If it's coated with varnish, it will do the same thing but because of moisture. Like putting a glass of your favorite iced beverage on a coffee table or end table without a coaster-- it will leave a ring because of the moisture.

When you go into town, check at the local hardware store and ask what they would suggest on putting on the table after you take it out later this spring and refinish the top! It's probably just the finish that is leaving the ring and not into the wood itself!

Well I've rambled on enough. Got to hit the rack and get up and head for Georgia tomarrow morning. Will be at "The Rally" in Perry and also down in your neck of the woods- Montezuma- for the next week plus, then up to Cullman, AL for a few days and back home again to file taxes. Not taking Monte with us since I'm to lazy to de-winterize it and then re-winterize it when I get home again! Keep us informed on the results of the table!
Ron
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Tammy,
My DH found some plastic placemats at Walmart for little $. Our 2009 3605RL seems to have the same problem with leg room under the table, and I'm thinking about the riser idea to raise it even only about 1-1/2 inches.
Thanks
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
This is our third Montana and we have never had a problem with the wood turning. As mentioned above, I have always used placmats under our plates and hot pads under any warm dishes. I did this to prevent scratching the tables, Never thought about the heat affecting the surface color. We got our placemats at Peppermill Stevens (I think), and they have a nice cork back and are fairly thick. We bought four and the extra two work as hot pads for slightly warm bowls. I still use trivots or fabric hot pads for hot bowls or pans.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tammy,
That's what you get for washing your dishes in the snow and then not wiping the bottoms before putting them on the table!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wayne, is that my problem? Well, why didn't you speak up sooner?????????
Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Tammy,
That's what you get for washing your dishes in the snow and then not wiping the bottoms before putting them on the table!!!!
Our oak table is coming apart at the seams. It happened while we had our Montana in storage. I am looking for a different table with a smaller pedestal. What I'd really like to do is replace it with a booth with a more accessable table between the booth. Been checking the Internet.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #12
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote: What I'd really like to do is replace it with a booth with a more accessable table between the booth. Been checking the Internet.
I'd like to do this also, and I don't even have mine yet. Too bad there isn't a "trade" forum where MOC people can trade furniture and such. I'd be looking for emerald isle people with a booth who want a table, lol.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Just saw this topic so this response is likely way too late but here's what's going on.

Most furniture makers use lacquer finishes because they look nice and dry fast. But, lacquer is horrible for table tops. It doesn't like the combination of moisture and heat. No surprise, it turns white under these conditions.

There are three things you can do depending on your energy level and tolerance for risk and adventure.

For a good fix which is also safe, try rubbing the discoloration with denatured alcohol and a soft cloth. This will get out the spot but may leave a different and slightly noticeable difference in the sheen. This fix is not perfect but better than leaving the ugly spot.

For the best fix which is not at all safe, try rubbing the discoloration with denatured alcohol but leave it wet and burn off the excess (let it burn until the alcohol is gone). I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS. This will remove the discoloration and not impact the sheen (supposedly). This may have the noticeable side effect of reducing your Monty to rubble. Of course you won't have the stain anymore either.

For the best fix that is safe and won't allow the problem to recur, sand off the lacquer and refinish it with the best marine varnish that you can get your hands on. This is the most work but will be immensely satisfying and does not require firemen.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote