Thread: Align-A-Site
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
For 10 bucks (and an Iphone) you can get this fantastic satellite finder called Dishpointer AR. To use it you enter the sats you want to 'see'. In my case for Direct TV I selected 101, 110, 119 but you can select any satellites you want. Then you go outside and with the iphone horizontal you swing your little body around and watch the screen. At the bottom it will show you what angle your favorite satellite is at while the rest of the screen shows you your toes and footwear.

I swing (my big body) around looking for 101. Then when it says I'm on 101 I just raise the phone up, keeping the azimuth constant and the camera will show you your trees, billboards, trailer, DW, or whatever it's pointing at with the arc of your satellites superimposed on the picture. If there is something in the way you know it instantly.

It's an incredible application. I'm on a site with an itty bitty notch in the trees and it's the only place on the site that I can see a satellite without obstruction. I'm talking about a notch between two 25 foot trees that are 8 feet apart. Not a big notch. Without this app I never would have thought it possible to see my satellites from here.

I found the right place to stand to 'see' the satellites then I mounted the dish and just pointed it at the notch in the trees. When I went inside I had the best signals ever. I plan to use this app to survey sites before I pick one.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote