View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
OzMonties
Established Member

M.O.C. #22325
I too was interested in the battleborn batteries and other brands of lithium’s but I have come across some conflicting information with regard to their use/installation. I’ll do my best to explain it as best I understand it.
The battleborns and other brands that LOOK like conventional batteries have what is called an Internal BMS, Battery Monitoring System.
It is basically a watchdog circuit board which monitors the battery and in the event of a fault, it triggers an internal switch which shuts the battery off to protect it. The faults can include reverse polarity connection, over and under temp, exceeding charge and discharge current limits and cell balancing.
Cell balancing is monitored and adjusted so that all of the cells in the battery are maintained within a few 10ths of a volt of each other. Balancing maintains you’re battery life by ensuring all of the cells perform the same amount of Work and receive the same level of charge which ensures a long service life.

Now, from the research I’ve done, I’m told that batteries with internal BMS’s that are arranged into a parallel or series bank, are not able to communicate with each other via their individual BMS’s, so when they are being charged or discharged, each battery even though they are connected may receive or deliver a differing amount of energy.
This goes against what Battleborn has advertised and I have contacted them for clarification and I am awaiting their reply. As soon as I know I’ll post it. Alternatively if anyone has already come across this would they please share with the group.
OzMonties is offline   Reply With Quote