Thread: Shower Pan Leak
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Bruce.B
Established Member

M.O.C. #9794
Shower Pan Leak

It was a little disappointing to see a puddle of water outside the shower the other night. I assumed it was because the sweep at the bottom of the door was damaged and needed replacing. I called Shower Enclosure America and got a fast response: they'll send me a sweep and instructions on how to adjust the door.

But in the meantime I discovered that the real culprit is the pan of our Garden Tub shower. I found a crack that runs along the edge of the non-skid. It is only visible when a load is applied and my eyes are close to the area. It only opens a few thousandths of an inch, but apparently that's enough for a fair amount of water to get thru.

So, before I go smearing disgusting gooey, sticky stuff in all the wrong places (probably 3M 5200) in hopes of sealing the leak, has anyone had this issue? How did you handle it? Frankly it looks like sealing from the top is just going to leak again... that gel coat seems to be something that's difficult to adhere to. I suspect the best approach is to remove the pan and repair it from the bottom, but I would *really* like to avoid that nightmare.

Btw, I can now see why the factory doesn't seal around the base of the tub. Had they done that, the water would have been trapped in the enclosed space under the tub and I wouldn't have known there was a leak. Scarey thinking about repairing both the shower *and* dry rot!
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote