View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I don't disagree that when it comes to our RV's that more weight is a direct result of beefier materials which will translate into more strength. While there's something comforting and satisfying about it I'm not convinced that an addition of strength automatically translates into a greater camping experience or even the longevity of the use of the rig.

I built my deck at home using 2 x 12 joists. For the size and span I really only needed 2 x 8's. My deck is solid as a rock but I don't think that using the heavier materials will translate into a longer lasting deck. It certainly doesn't change the way we use it or our enjoyment of it.

Seems to me that the lighter trailers can last as well and be enjoyed as long as the heavier models for most people. There may be some applications that would benefit from the heavier builds but for most of us it likley won't make any difference in the long run. I don't see anyone on this forum with trailers 20 years old so given the amound of time it appears that most of us use them it seems to be a wash.

For us the decision was about budget and the kind of quality we could buy for what we were willing to spend. So far it seems to have been a good choice.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote