View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #18
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Just to throw another 2 cents in...
I purchased a 50 Amp to 30/20 Amp dog bone for those rare times when we do not have a 50 amp service. Basically, one end of the dog bone has both a 30 amp and 20 amp connection to the pedestal. The other end has a 50 amp female connector for the rig's cord. It essentially combines the 30 and 20 amp circuits to make a 50 amp feed. I know it is not a true 50 amp service, something more like about 45 amps, but it does work and was relatively inexpensive on Amazon.
We stay a lot at 30A sites as well. I bought one of these, because I thought that it would solve all my problems associated with two A/C's.

Be aware that these do NOT work on 20A outlets that are GFCI at the pedestal, and are working correctly. Since the common is shared inside the converter in the 5er, it doesn't like that, and it will blow the GFCI breaker every time. Not the pedestal breaker but the GFCI breaker on the plug. If you're staying in a place that does NOT have GFCI on the 20A side, that's probably not good either, because to code, all 20A OUTSIDE outlets must be GFCI.

Now, I have a dogbone that I can't use anywhere (anywhere that has 20A GFCI outlets, which is everywhere that we stay that has 30A). We are going to tough it out this coming year, but when out unit is out of the one year warranty, I'm going to convert one of our A/C's to be able to accept both a stand alone 20A power source, and still be powered off of 50A when we are on 50A SP. Then, we will be able to use a 30A and 20A power source...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote