Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Rodney and Elaine...Welcome to the forum!

We pull a 3295RK with a short bed truck and don't have a slider hitch and we don't have any trouble as long as the Montana is stationary in the storage lot.

Otherwise..... we have to be extremely careful in all tight (forwards and backwards) turns.

It's common for me (I'm the wife) to pull the Montana over to the ocean a couple hours away from home. I like to secure a campsite and get the Montana all set up and have a couple of days either by myself or with our daughter (she's a teen), then the husband comes over on Friday night after work.

Well... to make a long story short for those who have heard my story before.... in a tight turn over at a campground, the truck and Montana came together just above the truck's rear window, denting the cab and blowing out the rear truck window.

The truck had a week of down time because of the body work/paint needed before a new window could be installed and the new window alone cost just over $500. I don't remember how much the body work cost.

Do we have a slider hitch yet? No...hubby thinks we don't need one.

But I tell ya....there's been times that the only thing stopping hubby from hitting our rear truck window is me yelling "stop" when he is in the middle of a tight turn. He forgets to keep an eye on the distance between the truck and the Montana because he is so engrossed in:
1. where the rear of the Montana is
2. where the front of the truck is
3. how many people are watching him make the turn and back up into a site

Get a slider hitch..... I think you'll be glad you did.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote