View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Here is our experience may or may not be typical.

Had AAA RV Plus (25 year AAA member) Finally dropped due to the following experiences/incidents

1. Towing the Monty home lost the rear wheel (hub and all) on the tow vehicle while on the PA Turn Pike. Even though we were promised two tow vehicles only one arrived. I had to travel with the truck while wife waited with the rig for a second truck to be dispatched. I was at the repair center and they were still looking for the right connector to tow a 5th wheel. finally found it, went to retrieve wife and rig and still had to jury rig the unit. no harm done in the end but not what I expected with RV Plus.

2. had a bubble develop in one of the rear truck tires while returning from Goshen Rally while on the Ohio Turnpike. pulled off at exit, got to a safe location and pulled over to the side of the road. Needed to locate a tire center with E rated tires on a Sunday afternoon. Called AAA. Long story short, it made a difference what side of the toll booth I was pulled over to the side of the road on. One "club" handled the turnpike, a different "club" the surronding area. Took 30 minutes to get someone who "would" help, and even though we asked twice for directions to the service center on secondary roads (needed to stay below 30 mph to avoid violent shaking) the first words out of the persons mouth were "get back on the turnpike...." Finally got to the place, they were open but didn't carry the tire rating we needed, AAA had never spoke to them on the phone (although we were assured they had) so I ended up changing the tires myself in the parking lot. (my spare was a "C" rated spare (result of the first accident) so I had to put that on the truck on the front and take the E rated from the front and put on the rear.

3. Picked up a travel trailer we wanted to practice our restoration skills on. One tire wouldn't hold air and shredded. Service station closed (only one in town). Called AAA - because it wasn't "tagged" they refused to dispatch a tow truck. Took me getting a supervisor on the line, pointing out that I had a legal bill of sale and could tow the trailer anywhere in the US for the next 30 days on that and that I was a 25 year member to get them to honor their commitment.

This all happened in a 2 year period and were the only calls I made for service. At that point I switched to Good Sam's.

I have used them twice
1. flat on my personal vehicle - someone responded quickly but I had already just about finished putting the spare on myself. They still led me back to the shop and checked everything over and repaired the damaged tire.

2. One time while stopped for fuel, noted a seperation and bubble forming on my mission tires. called GS for service. Provider assigned to that "area" was 45 north of my location on the other side of a major city. GS got the run around (a lot of lies) from the provider. After 1 hour, I paid two guys in the restaurant to help me change the tire. I had to ask and had documented who I talked to each time I called but in the end, GS reimbursed me for what I paid out of pocket to have the tire changed. The service provider still had not arrived when I pulled out 2 hours after the initial call.

I still have Good Sam's and try not to put stock in any single incident. At that time Tireco would only replace the two tires I could visibly find defects in. A month later when I was on the way to the Goshen Rally, less than 60 miles from home, I had one of the original Mission tires throw the tread and tear up the side of the Monty. Since I was in the same service area as the last fiasco and was getting to be a pro on changing my tires I didn't even bother to call for road side assistance. I had the tire changed in under 15 minutes. At the next rest stop I called Tireco and "shared" my frustaration with them. They shipped 3 new tires to the fairgrounds in Goshen and the tires were actually waiting for me when we arrived. Folks here on the forum were very helpful in coordinating things with the fairgrounds, had someone in the group standing by to come fetch us if another tire failed (since we now had no spare)and helped change out the remaining original tires once we were safely in Goshen. We made it safe and sound by the Grace of God as one of the remaining original Missions had totally seperated the tread and was freely moving around the rest of the tire as we pulled into the campground.

I also can't say enough about the folks as Keystone. Even though Tireco acknowledged responsibility for the damage to our rig, we had an appointment scheduled at the factory and they told us they would repair the damage while the worked on the other items on our list. THANKS KEYSTONE!

Anyway, sorry to ramble on and like I said, this was just our experience....your milage may differ......Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote