View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #29
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
I'm a cautious RVer with my Montana and don't exceed 65 MPH. Also, I avoid fast braking stops like the plague. I drive 1300 miles to an RV Park for the summer, park for 5 months and then drive 1300 miles home. Do I still need to grease my Monty bearings annually? Why?
I too do similar miles as a snow bird. I also add several hundred miles nearer to home during the summer. I inspect the bearings and grease in the fall before driving 1400 miles to my snow bird location. Generally my bearings are good to go and the high quality grease is still good, but I re-pack them anyway just to be on the safe side. The grease seals are also replace because they do wear and brake dust gets into the bearings. Brake dust and general oil separation of the grease is the primary reason to inspect and pack the bearings. Also bearing preload should be verified because that is most likely killer of bearings. Bearings do wear and get loose after awhile-- especially with the non-tang or cotter key castle nut like most Lippert/Dexter axles are using these days. BTY if you want the most precision preload use shims with the castle nut. Automobiles and truck have a more accurate way to adjust preload. The reason for proper preload is the bearing needs rotate freely with proper load distribution for the rollers and be able compensate for temperature increase. If it is too tight the bearing will destruct rapidly and too loose will also destruct but will take longer because of the load distribution. BTY I carry and extra set of bearings and races while traveling to be prepared in case of a burn out---
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bearingpreload.pdf (219.7 KB, 66 views)
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote