View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #22
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have only had one short bed, had a slider 5th wheel hitch, and towed a 2005 Everest 343L and never had to use the slider. I have only owned C/C long beds and have no thought of going back to a short bed. The pin weight will always be a issue with the 3/4 tons with a short bed.

The long bed GM Trucks will have a larger fuel tanks, which is a must in traveling thru the West. I also don't like or need the OEM pick-up beds, I much prefer the Hauler beds. My bedrail clearance is 22.5" and much easier to hook and unhook. I don't haul anything in the bed of my Trucks except a 5th wheel hitch and a 45 gal fuel Tank. I have a total of 81 gals of fuel and don't fuel as often and do shop for fuel on line prior to getting fuel.

As for grocery shopping never a issue, the only negative with DRWs is you can't use a car wash, however there are plenty of Truck washes along the interstates, and they will also wash the 5th wheel. But we have always had a large 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton Trucks don't work for us. The 2012 Chevy with the hauler bed is actually longer in length that my 2011 Chevy with the OEM Truck bed... Good Luck with you choice, go large in my opinion. You will more than likely upgrade to a larger 5th wheel. Some RV builders are already making the front compartments longer as in walk-in closets, and if it sells good others will follow. Never seen anyone who didn't like large closets. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote