View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I had a transfer tank in my Ford. Loved it. It gave me an additional 70 gallons. The extra fuel capacity allows you to shop for fuel instead of buying fuel because you are at the point you have to have it. Especially handy in and around some of the big national parks out west.

I used a transfer pump. We typically stop every few hours so I would transfer fuel when we took breaks and top off the primary tank regardless of fuel level. One of the biggest problems with the combo fuel tanks/tool boxes is you sacrifice fuel capacity or tool box capacity. What you are looking at doing now would be one of the better solutions if you are wanting an external tank. The nice thing about a external tank is it much easier to transfer it to a new truck when the time comes to replace the current truck.

If the DIC is important to you look at a replacement tank for the stock tank. The DIC can be reprogrammed for the new tank size and calculations like distance to empty will work. Using a transfer tank you could program for your total fuel capacity but fuel range and other features would be off. One of the nice things about a replacement tank is a thief is none the wiser that you have additional fuel capacity (unless they see you fill up) and that makes you less of a target for fuel theft.

Whatever you decide you will enjoy the extra capacity, especially if you can save buy purchasing fuel in a less expensive area and have more than enough fuel to get you thru a expensive area. You may shed a tear when you see the total the first time you fill up the new tank but remember in the end you are still going to use the same amount of fuel, you are just going to have to stop less often to fuel up.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote