Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowhawk2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billc1949

I have been thinking of upgrading to a one ton Ford or Ram DRW, however, looking at their sites, the max towing capacity that many go them have is 13,000. I thought the dually's are supposed to pull a lot more than that. Am I not looking at the right information. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill C
I can't imagine a dually from any mfg. have a towing capacity of only 13k, in any configuration. When I first saw your post I was wondering if you number was referring to GVWR, and on the Ford, that number is 13,300. I have a 2011 Ford dually with the 6.7 and I can tow a fiver up to 21,500 with a combined weight rating of 30,000. I have weighed my truck loaded and it weights around 9K so in theory, I could tow a fiver up to 21k and still be within specs. good luck with your search. Once you have a dually as a tow vehicle you will understand better why you see so many in campgrounds. They are awesome to tow with.
I have the same truck in a 2012 as shown above. The limiting factor on that 21k trailer is going to be the pin weight capcity of the truck. So if the pin weight was 25%, or 5,250 pounds, you would be over your tow rating for payload. My payload as per the camper certification is only 3,720 which is the weakest link for the numbers. Using the 25% number for pin weight, this puts me with a trailer weight of only 14,880 pounds towed safely.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote