Thread: Lug Nuts
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Christmas day we had a near disaster. I cut a corner too short and bumped the curb. The end result was both of the spring hangers on the rear axle came loose dropping the coach on the tires. After about 4 hours in the right turn lane off of a very, very busy street in So. Cal. with help from 2 very good friends we removed the tires, strapped up the axles and was able to move the Montana to a repair facility. To make a long story short, they completely rebuilt the suspension including heaver spring hangers, HD shackles with wet bolts, 2 new springs, serviced the bearings, brakes, installed cross bracing between the spring hangers, center equalizer, etc.. Just before they finished, he informed me that the wheels had been installed using the WRONG lug nuts. He said that lug nuts were for steel wheels and the cast alum. wheels required a specific lug nut. I torqued them at 50 mi. and found 2 that need tightened, again at 100 miles and 1 one need tightened, again at 300 miles and all were tight. This was quite an education as I had been concerned about the U-bolts and shackles and it was the hangers that failed. One of them had been broken for a long, long time as the fracture line on both sides was rusted with no sign fresh metal.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote