View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have driven all three at different times for work. For gas fired personal trucks I was fairly loyal to Ford but when it came time for a diesel I had to give sway to the tried and true Cummins in the Ram.

Having said that I will mention that Ram has a well earned reputation for front end issues. Mine has already had a few and the factory tires are very prone to add to that.

Overall though I would still go Ram if buying diesel (and we are looking at getting a 3/4 ton to pull our 24' enclosed toy trailer--wife will drive that and I will drive the 1 ton dually pulling the 5th wheel). Note to all you whimpy can't handle the dually guys---my wife drives ours all the time no problem at all. So there take that pffftttt.

But back on a serious note, I live in a park with about 100 full timers (DQ Dick is my next door neighbor). I'm not saying one brand is better than the other but with this experienced crowd it is about 50/50 Ford/Ram 100% 1 ton diesel duallies for larger 5th wheels. I could be wrong but I don't recall seeing a single Chevy towing anything over 35'. I don't think it is just this area either as folks come here from all over the country. Not saying the Chevy isn't a good truck, it just doesn't seem to be very popular in diesel dually at least around the big 5th wheel crowd. No idea why but there usually is a reason for one brand to be more popular.

I will say, I felt like Ram catered/marketed more to the 5th wheel crowd. If I am correct they are the only mfg. offering a direct from the factory 5th wheel hitch (CURT rebranded Mopar) with their trucks. And I think they were the ones that started the 4point "Puck" quick change system for the hitches. I am a BIG fan of the Puck system.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote