View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok this is going to absolutely STUN some folks on here: If your going full time, I encourage you to consider build quality strongly and probably steer clear of the High Countries. And that is from someone who owns one. We purchased ours while we were weekend warriors with no thought whatsoever for full time living in it. While the unit is ideal for that purpose and has what I consider to be the best floor plan in the business for active empty nesters with toys, it does NOT have the highest quality build. The High Countries are lighter for a reason!

Having said that and even though this is a Montana website, I will say there are better built trailers on the market. IF you can afford one that is. Our next unit will more likely be a custom built New Horizon. NH build quality is so far above any other brand that it really isn't fair to compare them BUT you pay for it! A NH will also incur an upgrade to our already 1 ton diesel dually.

Basically what I am telling you is that a heavier trailer while not good for your lighter truck will far outlast a lighter unit you can tow with that truck. And if your asking me the durability of the camper if your full timing is paramount! Wisdom would suggest you need to get the best built trailer you can (even if you have to go gently used) and either trade in the 3/4 ton for something larger OR be willing to live in a smaller camper. There are several exceptions to the above. One that comes to mind is if you plan on staying for a very long timeframe in one place. While I am not advocating doing anything unsafe, pulling a heavy camper a short distance ONCE (or better having someone do it for you), may allow you to buy the heavier camper and still keep the lighter truck?

Best of luck to you.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote