View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch319 View Post
I'm new to the this forum after recently purchasing a 3160 RL. While installing my satellite dish I noticed the same issue with my heat duct versus the vaccum hose. ScottZ how did you get the problem corrected? I'm thinking of getting better dryer vent hose and shaping it to work with the vaccum hose. I do need heat since I do spend my winters in British Columbia skiing.
A better hose will not solve the problem. The problem is that the vacuum barely fits under the duct work adapter; no way to fit a hose in there.

Here is how I fixed it:

1. Loosen the four corner screws holding the vacuum in place. Only loosen them a few turns, do not take them out. There are ears behind the vacuum (like a cut-in outlet box), if you loosen them too much the ears will fall into no-mans land and be really hard to get back; trust me on this one. Pull the vacuum out to provide access to the heat duct. Once the vacuum is out, the problem will be obvious; the vacuum and the heat duct cannot occupy the same place at the same time.

2. If you didn't trust me in step one, loosen the screws holding the InCommand center in place, gently lay it out and retrieve the ears that fell behind it.

3. Remove the adapter that provides the connecting point for the duct coming from the furnace. Mine was held on by 4 screws and they put silicon on it before screwing it in place. It was tough to get the silicon to let loose, but keep working on it. It will get bent up, but you can fix that. Wear gloves; sheet metal is sharp.

4. You will find the round part of the piece you just removed is about a 4" or 5" long. It only needs to be long enough for the hose clamp to grab; about 1/2".

5. Straight out the adapter (bent up form pulling on it to break the silicon seal), and cut it down leaving just enough for the hose clamp to grab.

6. Reinstall the adapter with some silicon and the screws.

6. Reinstall the duct coming from the heater.

7. There will now be enough room to install the vacuum without hitting the heat duct.

It's not a real hard job. Certainly took me less time than even one trip to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace Ducting 7 -2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace ducting 8 -2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	959.9 KB
ID:	416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace ducting 9 -2.jpg
Views:	129