Thread: Why Montana?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Thor who owns just about every manufacturer out there buys the cheapest components to build all their RV's..

Own a 2015 Montana 3790RD, we really like our layout. We just spent some time looking at new units from various makers and stayed with looking at Rear Raised Den models for the most part.

Price point on the various units was all over the place, didn't see much of a difference in build quality regardless of price point, was focusing on some of the parts & pieces we'd replaced on ours when looking at the new ones and low & behold they were all pretty much the same parts & pieces regardless of whether it was Forest River, Keystone, Heartland.

Construction wise and insulation wise most were comparable although a couple of them were only 3 season not 4 but I'm sure you could order an upgrade for more money.

The top end Heartland (Pheniox I think it is) was $140,000 and to be honest I wouldn't trade the Montana for it even at the same price point as it sure doesn't have anything I can see or read in the specs that is worth the extra money.

Full paint is standard but for $8000 you can get that on a Monty...

The Units that impressed the most for basically the same ball park were the Solitudes, slightly more money than the Montana but also a few extras come standard than the Montana.

In 2015 when we bought the Solitude in the same model was $30,000 more, they were then owned by independents that left/sold Keystone to Thor and struck out on their own.

Grand Design was their new Manufacturer, since then Grand Design was bought by Thor, many of the same parts & pieces now are the same as all the others, the price point seems to have come down and there is only about $3000-5000 difference in price on same basic models now.

So as someone indicated earlier, comes down to layout, price point pretty much unless you have the money to basically pay double the amount for one of the high end independent makers.

That is alot of repairing for the money and guess what they break down too....

We've fixed alot on this Monty in comparison to the previous Cougars we owned but we also have put thousands of miles on this Monty and live in it about 9 - 10 months of the year compared to the Cougars which were weekend use & small two or three week trips.

No matter what you buy EXPECT to do ongoing repairs & maintenance as that comes with owning an RV period.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote