View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I've been doing a lot of research for my next HDTV, about a month now. Started off looking to upgrade the Sylvania in the monty. Then somehow it switched to the tv in our house. Along the way i learned some things. I started off looking at LCD. Then found out there is LCD/LED. This is an LCD with LED backlight. This enhances the overall picture over fluorescent backlight.
Some companies place the LED around the edge and others across the whole background. Some even change colors to match the display colors. All making for a great picture. Then somehow I started reading about plasma. Plasmas are rated as good as LCD, in some cases better. Plasmas life span is equal to LCD. The refresh rate is better. Plasma have kept up with the times. Best of all plasmas are cheaper then LCD. I'm eyeing a 58" Samsung or Panasonic in the $1800 to $2000 price range. It seems the big players in HDTV are Samsung and Panasonic. From what I've read Pioneer is the best (KURO), but they are getting out of the TV business and sticking with audio. So for me I want the most bang for my buck and that will be plasma. The other thing i noticed is a lot the the tv's that are at great prices now are the older series models. If I remember correctly older series Panasonics are the S1,G10 newer V10. for Samsung older is 5 series and newest up to the 9 series. A good place to start your research is CNET and HDGURU, have fun.

PS If you want to wait lcd will go away to make room for the OLED. Right now you can but one for about $2000. For a 10" screen!!!!!!

Swanny
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote