View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Cacciato2006

M.O.C. #23399
Solar / Inverter setup

Hey everyone!
We are purchasing this week a 2019 Montana 3561RL 20th and it's a serious upgrade over our little 27' Jayco but it's time to upgrade! We off-grid 100% of the time at the farm and use solar and a vapor generator connected to a 500 gallon LP tank.

We have 1.2KW of PV panels (36V Nominal) piped down to a 80 amp Outback solar controller. The exterior 12V battery bank is three strings of L16 Trojans with 1,260 Amp-hr of capacity. Inverter is a 3KW Magnum Hybrid with a TriMetric 2030 for battery monitoring. We currently run a network, surveillance cameras and a full size refrigerator (in the shop) 24 hours a day off the PV system (Gen off). This trailer doesn't move and the inverter supplies power to everything but the AC just using heavy extension cords and that includes the microwave.

The Montana will be sitting under a 19'x46' cover (just built it) and will not move for about three years until I retire. When we start travelling I'll need to rework the solar, generator and battery setup. The Montana will have the Legacy package with generator prep but not the Onan but it does include the ATS.

I plan to transfer the current system to the new trailer but simply stated I would like the inverter to power the entire trailer except the AC. I want all plugs, microwave, lights etc to run off the inverter without running cords everywhere.

Later, I plan to upgrade to a 4,400 watt, 48v Magnum inverter and double the PV to power the AC during those times when we only need it to run the AC a couple of hours. When it is hot and need the AC running all day we just run the generator.

A long time ago in the Jayco I just plugged the shore power plug directly into the inverter (and cut the feedback loop) and that worked great until one day it didn't. Something with the converter must of changed and it would trip the Magnum so out came the extension cords.

So, after all that my question. Does anyone have any experience or advice on the best way to accomplish what I want to do?

Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks for listening.
David
Cacciato2006 is offline   Reply With Quote