View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
ARP fans work as advertised on any of my installs that ordered them … their squirrel caged fans generally move more air than a bladed fan of a given size. I just don't like their install method of wire tying them to your existing plastic vents. All installs I've done kept the existing OEM fans as well as the ARP fans if purchased. You just have to wire the fans together. Air flow up the back of your fridge is key! ARP does away with the OEM thermistor at the top of your condenser coils and provides their own to locate down low on the condenser. This is a better location to place the fan control. In the end, I just wanted to use muffin fans ... computer case fans … whatever you want to label them. When you get a couple of fans sized right (CFM) and quiet enough (dB) I feel that sucking air from the bottom and blowing it out the top by fans mounted in the middle of all this works well. It just takes more patience and flexibility from the installer. The mounting bar is usually already there from the OEM location.
One other consideration is if there is a dead space right above your fridge looking in from the top vent, get a piece of say 1/4" plywood as wide as your fridge enclosure. Angle and secure the plywood from the top of your fridge to the outlet hole the upper plastic vent attaches to. This will eliminate the dead space where hot air sits (no matter how many fans you have) and guide it on out the top of the fridge enclosure. If you remove the top vent, and stick your hand above your fridge on a warm day, you'll understand what I'm trying to get across.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote