Thread: Goodyear Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Bruce.B
Established Member

M.O.C. #9794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NASCARon

We had a blowout of one last september and now we just noticed that another of our Goodyear Marathons has a buldge in the center. looks like belts have broken. I was told that an E rated truck tire doesn't have as strong of a sidewall as a trailer tire... but what good is a stronger sidewall of they can't handle the same weight...
The difference between the truck tire and the trailer tire is the truck tire can be installed on driven and steering wheels and the trailer tire can't. Side wall strength is described by the load range.

I searched for direct replacements and found that the Marathons were the only E-load tire that can handle 3410#. Our 3400RL is right at that maximum load limit. We realize we need better tires, but I was unable to find the pressure rating of our aluminum rims. IIrc, the G614 reqquires 110 psi to get to 3410#. I think we're to the point of replacing both rims and tires!

Btw, there are several possible reasons for the bulge. We have them too, but in our case the bulge is caused by tight fibers that are used in manufacture of the tire. There are 6 of these radial lines which show up as a depression that runs in a straight line from just below the tread toward the center of the hub. If that depression showed up aligned differently it could be an indication of the casing coming apart.
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote