View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Electricity: Friend or Silent Killer?

Ok, this isn't quite technically a Montana question, but I have a lot of respect for the cumulative knowledge of this group and since this is for the shed I just bought that sits at my Montana home-base, I'm not stretching the rules too badly.

Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a new 10x12 wooden shed for our home-base location. Power at this location comes from a typical RV campground pedestal. I have outputs for 50amp (used by my Montana), 30amp (unused) and a 20amp (currently used by crappy, old shed that is going away in a few weeks.)

I want to take the 30amp power to my new shed, then break it off into two 15-amp circuits. This will allow a refrigerator and a freezer in there to have their own circuits as required in their manuals. (Also, non GFCI, which is oddly required.)

So today I purchased a 30-amp, 2 circuit sub-panel and two 15-amp breakers for it. I'm in the process of ordering a 50' 30-amp UL rated cord. (This is TT-30 to L5-30R.) I'm also going to order an L5-30 Inlet Box. My plan is to mount the inlet on the outside of our shed, connecting it through to the wall to the sub-panel. (Yes, I know this isn't ideal, but the requirements of our camping club here state that I cannot have underground wiring and sheds may not be hooked up to permanent power. This RV-power cable would qualify more as temporary power on an extension cord and will keep me out of trouble.)

So, I think all of that is sound, but here's my question. Do I need to ground the sub-panel in the shed?

If I do, that would probably require driving grounding stakes, right?

This is where it becomes clear that I don't really know much about electricity.

The only things that are going to run regularly are the two appliances and maybe a charger for the LED light bar we'll have there, but that will be rare.

Lightning is very, very rare in our area (outside of Seattle).

The distance from the power to the shed is roughly 35 feet, though I'll be running it through a 50 foot 10/3 cord.

Not sure which of these factoids are relevant, just throwing out thoughts.

I purchased a grounding bar for the sub-panel, but it's not going to do me any good without stakes, will it? (It's quite possible that sub-panel isn't the right term here. I'm connecting via an extension type cord to an RV pedestal, I'm not bringing in direct leads from a primary panel. Obviously this is where my lack of expertise becomes an issue.)

I watched one video where a guy has a true sub-panel and he referenced tying a bar back into the neutral, but I have no idea if that's valid or viable.

So please, electricians, put me on the right path here. (and also, please excuse any incorrect terminology I just used!)

Thanks,
Jeremy