View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #42
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

My husband had a cpap machine but wouldn't use it. I'm not even sure he knows where it is. We have a friend who wouldn't use his cpap, now he uses a mouth guard at night that thrusts the lower jaw forwards and that has taken away the need for him to use the cpap machine, according to his doctors. His wife says he doesn't snore or stop breathing at night any more.

He had to have his doctor refer him for it so his insurance would pay for it. The mouth guard was about $400, required several visits and xrays to have it molded and custom fitted. Does anyone else use one of these mouth guards?

I've seen a commercial lately on TV for a generic one of these lately, but I think it wouldn't work as well as the custom fitted one.

I'm still trying to get my husband to check into the mouth guard.
Margee, try to get Doug to do something, one way or another. I'm not meaning to sound like a know-it-all, but obstructive sleep apnea is very serious as you no doubt know. Untreated it can take literally years and years off of your life. The constant cessation of breathing and then choking and re-breathing is very hard on the heart. I have a brother and father-in-law who are both too stubborn to use theirs too and I'm always trying to persuade them to.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote