View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #19
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I completed my repair 4 days ago and I have had the tank pretty full twice so far, with no leak. I did the repair just like I planned it. I also asked Ray Burr at LoveYourRV.com for advice and most of this procedure is per his recommendation.

I learned a few things on this repair. When I was carving the channel over the crack with the Dremel, I did my best but I found it was hard to follow the crack exactly because of the poor visibility, awkwardness of the angle, and the disappearance of the crack under my work. My advice would be to carve a few "dots" with the Dremel over the crack every 1/2 to 1 inch as a guide, and then proceed to make a continuous channel.

The G/flex epoxy is much easier to work with than Plasti-Mend. G/flex does not require respiratory protection and actually has little odor at all. It is thicker than Plasti-Mend and easier to work with, particularly since I was applying it while looking straight up. After mixing the 2 components the directions say it begins to harden in 45 minutes, and fully cures in 24 hours. On the first coat I used a gloved finger to spread the epoxy and force it into the crack. This was so much easier than using a tool that I only used disposable plastic knife to mix and apply the epoxy, and a gloved finger to spread each coat.

After the first coat I left it an hour, then applied a second coat and a strip of fiberglass cloth over it and some more epoxy over the cloth. The third coat went on the next day.

My Coroplast is getting a little beat up. I used extra wide Gorilla tape and a hair dryer to put it back together. Time will tell on the repair.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote