View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingCrow View Post
I don't have it set to Auto. I have it at 69 and on Heat Pump. As I said, I move it to Furnace 2 or 3 times a day, as I know the Heat Pump isn't designed to keep things warm all by itself, when it's this cold out.

Hmm... that's not what our dealer told us. The unit has the Four Seasons package, so they said either heating option would keep things from freezing. No issues so far. I know the line for the ice maker is exposed, so I cut it off under the sink (in the island) and disconnected it under the kitchen slide-out to drain any water in it. Otherwise, we were told the only time we'd need to worry about potential pipe freeze is if the unit is not being heated at all. I'll monitor things though, so thanks for the info!

We're at an RV park at the moment. We'll be relocating to our land/farm in a few weeks and plan to have a 300lb tank installed on the property. Lugging these 30lbs-ers would get old really fast.

D

My heat pumps will short cycle like you describe if the temps are at or below freezing. The fan switch to auto doesn't make a difference. The unit can't extract heat from the outside air at those temps.