Thread: Tote-an-Stor
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
This thread is bringing back memories. When I was a real little kid, I used to visit my Grandma where there was a "chemical toilet" on the second floor of the house. When I stayed there, we used to come down and warm up around the kitchen oven (Wood burner) in the morning. I really don't remember who emptied that thing or where.

Our own home had a "two Holer" out side and a "slop pail" on the landing going into the basement. The males in our family were prone to use that slop pail in the winter. Don't really know what my mom did. There was lots of other stuff in the pail such as potatoe peels and the like. Also don't remember who emptied that pail or where except, we did have some pigs.

As for "number 2" (as we called it in grade school) at home, that was for the two holer except if you were in the barn. Then one could squat over the gutter behind the cows. There was a roll of toilet paper hung on a twine string attached to a nail. My dad always brought it to our attention if he percieved we were using too much toilet paper. After all, the neighbors were using pages out of the Sears & Roebuck. Every day the cows were milked twice and the gutter was cleaned once. Thinking about this, I am not sure why I find the little blue tank so repulsive. Must be a learned response.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote