View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #30
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
In 2011 we stayed at the KOA in Billings Montana (KOA #1). A brochure we picked up in the office featured the Pictograph Cave State Park, 5 miles out of town. We asked one of the staff if the parking lot had RV parking. "Oh yeah" was the reply. We left KOA the next morning with our 29' Nash behind us. We reached the turnoff with a nice sign pointing the way to the park (it didn't give the park hours, curiously enough). We drove down a LONG, NARROW road a few miles when we came to a closed, locked gate. Nowhere to turn around, cut bank on the right, fill bank on the left. Nothing to do but back up a mile or so to a driveway that I MIGHT be able to back into. I had backed up about about 1/2 mile (and 45 minutes) when a pickup went flying by me. We stopped and watched. He was unlocking the gate! We started driving toward the gate again. The guy in the pickup drove through the gate...and...oh #&@!...he was closing it behind him! We started honking the horn and flashing the lights to get his attention. He stopped. When we got to him, he was a grumpy rancher who owned the land around the State Park. The park was a mile further. I had to beg him to let me drive through so I could turn around in the parking lot and get out. We did. And he let us back out. We thanked him. He just glared at us and locked the gate behind us. Never did see the Pictographs. Oh, and the parking lot? If it hadn't been empty, not sure we could have ever got through it with our rig. Morale of the story? If you don't know, don't go!
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote