View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #21
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensnel View Post
The Air bags provide additional spring capability that GM adds with the extra set of springs provided in the back of the 3500. I contacted GM and here is the meat of that conversation:

Me: Other than an extra set of springs on the rear axle. are there other differences in the 2500HD LTZ SRW Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab short bed and a comparably Equipped 3500?

GM Representative: Other than the obvious differences that the 3500 has a higher payload and towing rating than the 2500, I'll need a time to find out.

Me: I am aware of that. But is it due to anything other than the extra set of springs? Is there a different rear axle? different front suspension? different gearing in the Allison tranny?

GM Representative: I cannot find anything that mechanically distinguishes the 2500 from the similarly equipped 3500, other than the suspension.

You may need to look at both trucks to see this extra set of attached springs inside the rear wheels. That is the difference. Airbags should provide similar additional support for the additional pin weight payload. Other components are apparently the same on the GM HD trucks.
Airbags DO NOT provide additional support for the additional pin weight payload. Airbags help cushion the ride and level the truck. They DO NOT increase payload ratings.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote