View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Went to the dealer this morning and my luck, the service manager was not there. He will be tomorrow and the general manager stated to bring it then. He also stated that it appears to be a broken weld where the drop frame cage is welded to the Lippert frame. States that at one time was pretty common with drop frame campers. He went to say that, if you'll notice, that all drop frame campers have a "relief cut" under the bedroom slide(front left) that is covered by a piece of trim. When that area moves, it is indicative of a weld failure in cage/frame joint. I've never heard this, but he stated that all drop frame manufacturers do not buy a fully built frame from Lippert. Most buy the frame and then weld in the "drop frame cage" to the Lippert for their product.
A good friend of mine has a buddy that works in the XLR plant. He was sent the video and he eluded to the fact that one of you touched on earlier, about the wall joint was not properly attached at the factory. He believes that either way, this should be a rather easy repair.
I was told by the dealer to go ahead and bring the camper in as I only live about 20 miles. I am confident that the incident occurred on the way home from the lake yesterday as I have pics of the camper, both loaded and unloaded, at the lake with no visible issue.
I am not solely taking this guy at his word. I was NOT going to tow it anywhere until told to by either the dealer or Keystone. I have begun documenting this very heavily and will throughout the process. Our next trip in scheduled for 2.5 weeks and I do not anticipate having it back, but who knows. I will let you guys know what the problem is and the planned remedy. Thank you all for being a sounding board and a great source of information.
This is that piece of trim I was told about covering the "relief cut" in the side of the camper. All on the lot have this. I'd never noticed it.
http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/go...g0kt.jpg.html]

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0xs7g0kt.jpg