View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Using a surge suppressor questions...

I asked this question in another thread about surge protectors, but I don't want to hijack that thread so started a new one.

So, we have never had a surge protector / EMS on any unit we've owned. I also don't believe that we have ever had any issues with the pedestal power, or at least not that I'm aware of, and even with our 50A connection in our last unit, it always worked, on 50A or 30A. The only thing that we have ever had happen was potentially a brown out where the park was potentially overloaded, and/or having failing breakers. After a couple an hour of power off, they got the power fixed, and we didn't have any issues after that.

My questions are this:
  1. What do you do when the surge suppressor says power is bad, and you don't have a genny or any kind of backup power? In our case, we don't have a genny, so we wouldn't have any way to use anything if the power was "bad". At our usual places, we can't change campsites either, because they are full, so we're stuck where we are at.
  2. Depending on what the fault is, do you unplug the surge suppressor and take your chances? I don't have easy access to my input power on ours, so this is actually one reason that I would consider NOT having a built in unit.
  3. How do you "know" that you've plugged into bad power? Or, how do you know that the surge suppressor has saved your bacon?
  4. Is this more an issue with 50A power vs 30A power?

At the end of the day, I'm going to get one, because I can't see where it's a bad idea. I just wonder what people are doing when they have issues, and they still need to plug into SP...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote