View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
As a couple of folks have already stated, aluminum/alloy rims present a problem. And to a lesser extent, so do raised white outlined letters.

I tried before at about 7,000 miles and it was a learning experience for both me and the dealer I went to. I thought I had alloy rims and raised white letters at ALL positions and everything would swap around fine. I was wrong. After the dealer broke down everything, they informed me that the two rear inners were on steel rims and the tires were blackwalls not raised white letters. After much consternation, we settled on a rotation. Unfortunately, their tire/wheel guy boogered up three of my rims. They replaced them at over a grand each. We both also learned that the front and rear alloy rims are not the same. So now its fronts side to side and nothing to the rears unless they show uneven wear.

If you do have steel rims and blackwalls all the way around, there is a rotation pattern.
left front to right rear inner
right rear inner to right rear outer
right rear outer to right front
right front to left rear inner
left rear inner to left rear outer
left rear outer to left front

As far as tire pressure goes, use the sticker on the truck.
That's the recommended for your truck's GVWR/GCWR/PAYLOAD.
For some reason, handling I assume, you do not inflate EVERY tire to the same psi. Rears are generally 10psi lower than the fronts. On my Ford its 75psi front and 65psi rear. That being said, I run 75psi front and 70psi rear. Those numbers appear to give me the best ride and best wear.

Running your tires at the max psi listed on the tire does increase the payload capacity of the tire. But, if you do not need that extra and leave your tires inflated to the max, your ride will be harsher and your tires will wear more in the middle.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote