View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Doing your wheel bearing inspection and lube is a fairly easy though dirty job. It also takes a bit of time, especially if your 5er, like ours, doesn't have self leveling.

I buy the seals on line from etrailer usually or one source on ebay and they work as well as the overpriced but identical Dexter seals

I have been using Dexter recommended Mystick JT6 grease but will be changing to Valvoline synthetic as that Mystick grease seems to get too runny, separating, even in direct sun on a 60* day.

I use a bunch of Harbor Freight nitrile gloves (the 5mil are a bit too thin, but real cheap) and at least a roll of paper towels. The bearings are usually cleaned with kerosene or diesel fuel then blown dry. A bearing packer has been used but there seems to be way more waste then the hand pack method so have put that packing gadget away.

The total cost to do our 6000# axles is about 10 bucks for 4 seals and a half can of 12 dollar grease or about 6. Soooo, 10+6+1(roll of towels)+2(nitrile gloves) =~19 dollars. Quite a savings - and the Scottish part of my heritage (you know, deep pockets, short arms) loves that.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote