Thread: Towing capacity
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #56
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Read it again, it doesn't say the Insurance Company won't pay.
“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.
It's just telling you that if the Courts award more that you insurance coverage is, that you will be responsible to pay the excess which could put you into the poor house after watching some accident Lawyers adds of multi-million dollar awards.
That's a good point and like you say with the way the courts/juries hand out the multimillion dollar lawsuits that would far exceed insurance coverage you could well be spot on!!

But putting aside financial risk for a moment isn't there a MORAL obligation to do the right thing and not tow overweight?? I know if I rear ended a car full of young children and heaven forbid one died because I was overweight I would never recover from the tragedy!! And since I am not willing to take that risk myself I certainly would not recommend doing so to a newbee to the towing arena. Telling someone unfamiliar with towing that it is ok to be overweight is just wrong any way you slice it!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote