View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich is right on the money when he says that these units are recreational units and if you live in them full time you have to do a little more maintenance than the 30 days a year guy.

My Mom and Dad lived in a Jayco Eagle for an entire year while he built his last house. He was 65 and when my Dad builds a house, he does it all and I helped a bit. We did the foundations, the framing, the plumbing, the electrical, and the heating system. I also did all the brickwork and the fireplaces as I am a certified Bricklayer as well as a Millwright.

Well the Jayco Eagle 15 years ago was about as cheap an RV as you can get and with my Dad fixing a few items and improving a few things after a year that 1990 Jayco 5th wheel looked just like new inside and they even hauled it on some long trips after that. Dad is still going strong at 79 but he stopped pulling trailers about 5 years ago he owns a Park model in Yuma. He still drives the 1400 odd miles to get there.

I would even go so far as to say that the happiest full timers are the ones that enjoy fixing the minor things that go wrong with a home, even the ones without wheels. Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote