View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had an email discussion with Keystone about how these numbers are calculated. I got a reply from one of the engineers. In my opinion, the method used to calculate the numbers is suspect and, I think, understates the ratings. Here's how they calculate those numbers:

GVWR - Axle capacity (12,000 lbs) plus pinweight of the unloaded rig.

CC - GVWR less the rig weight as determined by some other method.

CC, in my opinion, would be an accurate calculation if the GVWR were correct. However, GVWR does not identify the max the rig can safely weigh without being over the ratings of the frame, pinbox, axles, tires, and anything else that needs to be considered in the ratings.

I hope to get an opportunity at the rally to privately discuss this with someone at Keystone who can pursue getting these calculations corrected. This is just my opinion. I am not an engineer. But the GVWR calculations defy my sense of logic.

So, as the rig weight increases, CC will decrease. That would be correct but the numbers are low because I don't believe the published GVWR numbers accurately reflect what the rig can handle. If those numbers were correct I think CC would be higher. Keystone is probably losing some sales to Sunnybrook, Cardinal, and some others because of the low CC number.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote