Thread: 4 x 2 or 4 x 4
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a 4x2 Ford Expedition and we drove on a long vacation. In the middle of it all I stopped by a drivethrough oil change truck place to have the oil changed as required by the mileage interval. The place was huge and set up so that a semi truck could drive right up on the supports and get serviced underneath, but they also serviced cars as well so I drove up on the bay as directed.

After driving in and getting out to pay for the service with the service manager behind the counter, the young service guy rushed in and asked me, "What happened to your truck?". Puzzled, I asked him to explain why he thought there was something wrong. He said I was missing the front gear box. The guy behind the desk laughed and said, "He's from California, they don't have those down there, cuz they don't go anywhere that needs them". Touche, he was sorta right. I didn't ski or go muddin' so I didn't need it and any snow trips were done when the weather was good and I had chains just in case (In all those years I only needed the chains once for about 5 miles).

Now with towing a trailer, I went the 4x4 route and have needed it at least 3 times and it wasn't ever about snow and ice and only once because of mud. You won't ever catch me with a truck or SUV without 4x4 any more. I also find I am braver about going riskier places since I have it and would never had tried with any 4x2 I had.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote