Thread: Weight Question
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the Ford and Dodge, the difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton (single rear wheel) seem to be just in the rear suspension. Brakes, tires, frame, etc., are identical, although the 1 tons sometimes have options for larger tires that are not available on the 3/4 tons. Someone recently posted a link or two that indicate that the above statements are not true for the GM trucks. I have no information on those.

On the 3/4 ton trucks, the Montana pinweight may cause the rear to sag just a little. Some here have added additional rear suspension in the form of airbags or Timbrens shocks to allow the truck to ride level. If you also carry 400 lbs of fuel in the bed, that wold concern me a bit.

With a 3/4 ton you may be within the tow, GVWR and GCWR ratings but may be over the payload capacity as stated on the sticker on the door pillar. Many of us are over that number.

The numbers I would be more concerned with are the tire ratings and the axle ratings. You might check those out. With the 2955 you probably will be fine. Again, I'd be concerned about the extra fuel weight, though.

A dually will not get you more tow capacity nor GCWR but it will get you more GVWR and more payload capacity.

You'll find that many on this forum and other forums and, indeed, out there on the road, are using 3/4 ton trucks to tow Montanas and other brands of similar weight. I've yet to hear of problems. Also, my insurance agent and my attorney both have told me being over those ratings is not illegal. It could, however, be the reason your insurance pays, if you are at fault, and then cancels you. And if it is proven an accident happened because you were over the ratings, some attorney would love to take you to court. And would probably win.

We are over the ratings on our truck in some categories but not excessively so. In 100,000 or so miles we've had no problems. But the fact remains that you will need to assess the situation and decide for yourself. Only you can make that decision. Good luck.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote