Thread: Weight Question
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hey, hey, Welcome aboard.

Good question, tough answer. Verbal wars have been fought over the answer. Some people have quit the forum because others didn't buy-in to their answers. It is a question that we all have dealt with in one way or another.

I have only owned Montana and pulled Montanas with three or more slides and 38' long. I have pulled with a 3/4-ton F250 and now I pull with a 1-ton F350. The F250 was adequate for the job. The previous owner pulled the 2003 Big Sky (with three slides) 8000 miles and I pulled it another 4000 with the F250. So I gave it a fair test.

My only concern (not major) became the braking ability of the F250. That braking ability was equal to the 1-ton SWD for that same year of manufacture. Now I have had a chance to compare it to the performance of a 2008 1-ton dually. The dually is better.

The engine is not normally an issue. Most manufactures use the same engine and drive train in 3/4-tons as in 1-tons. It is the suspension, braking and loading that causes concern. As afore mentioned, the braking is of utmost importance to me.

When I drove a 3/4-ton, I was a strong defender of it. I haven't changed my mind, but I will have to say there is a difference in the two. There is an added measure of braking power and the power to pull is improved because I have a more powerful engine in the 2008 F350 than the 2002 F250.

As has been stated, it is your decision. You will see that many of us use Ford, Dodge and Chevy 3/4-tons, while others use SRW and DRW 1-tons. If you want to see the spread, look at the poll of trucks driven. If it were me I would drive what I have and upgrade when it was doable. Happy RVing........

PS: I don't give a royal flip about the weight police.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote