View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Canadian Mind

M.O.C. #17364
Possible Full Timer

Hi folks. My name is Matthew. Considering purchasing an RV with the intention of full timing. I don't anticipate I will make a purchase until next summer; however, I'd like to get all my research done so that when the time comes, it's an easy purchase. I joined to forum because I want to learn more about the Montanas. I figured this would be a great place to find the truth about the pros & cons of going with a Montana. I also would like to get a better understanding of what my tow vehicle can handle, I don't intend on upgrading trucks.

Current truck is a 2005 SRW F350 with the 6.oh. Yes I know the reputation. I've already started the process to make it a better towing vehicle (install 4.30s, finish bulletproofing the block, etc).

My girlfriend and I are very fond of the Montana 3440 RL and Montana 343 RL floor plans. If the truck can't tow the 3440 RL safely and no other brands suit our needs over the High Country model, the 343 RL would be our #2 choice. I do have my CDL and am very aware of the capacities and their meanings. I understand that the 3440 RL has a GVWR of 16 500lbs, and if I do go with it that I wouldn't be able to load it up to it's max weight in order to keep the truck under it's GCWR and GVWR.

Backstory:

Recently got out of the military after 7 years of service (contract expiration, did not re-sign. Originally from Comox, on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and I've been posted to various locations in New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, and finally here in Wainwright, Alberta.

I would have liked to move back to the Island right after I got out, however cost of living is insane. I would need to own this house for several more years in order for there to be enough equity to make buying a home on the Island affordable.

Mt girlfriend and I are currently considering renting out this house and moving elsewhere. This leaves us two options:

The first is that we buy a second home somewhere else here in Alberta. If we choose to stay in Alberta for the medium - long term, this is the best option. Two homes mean twice the equity (minus capital gains once I rent). More equity means more affordability and more options once the time comes to move back to BC. However, we may not want to stay in Alberta for the 4+ years required for this plan to be fruitful.

Second option has come up in discussion more recently. The basic idea is we'd purchase an RV, either new or used, and we'd park it on the family's acreage back home. It doesn't get very cold in the winter in Costal BC, so I think full timing would be manageable. This plan has the benefits of getting us back home sooner, and we'd be graced with the ability to travel wherever we want comfortably. Downside to this plan is that there isn't really any equity in an RV. This may give us less equity to play with when the time comes to sell the rental in Wainwright and buy a house on the island. We'd either have to maintain the rental for even longer to build the same equity we would with two homes, or settle for fewer options when the time comes to make a purchase.

Anyway, that's that for now. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and learn about the Keystone Montana!
Canadian Mind is offline   Reply With Quote