View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Welcome! I think the diesel question has been addressed well. Remember that it is the same powerplant in each model - you're pulling ability is basically the same whether it's a 2500/3500SRW/DRW. Stopping is obviously going to be better on DRW with more rubber on the ground and more braking action. We had ours on some very steep grades this summer and had no issues climbing or descending.

As for pin weight - how do you plan on using the rig? Kids, dogs, loaded to the hilt with gear, generator, a 1/2 cord of firewood?? You get my point. Contrary to popular opinion, I can hitch up my 3400 onto my 2500 and NOT be over GVWR for my truck. That includes everything I need to take it on a weekend trip, which I do to go to some of my running races.

Now when we head to the beach for a week with DW, dogs, beach chairs, lots of food and drinks, etc., I go about 3-400 lbs over truck GVWR.

That being said, my next truck will be a 3500. I know I will not exceed GVWR on a SRW with the way we travel. However, I will consider the dually for some of the reasons spelled out here by others. My truck is my daily driver, so I'm not that hyped up about parking that beast around town. Not that it is an issue - mine only has 75k miles on it, does a great job towing, and should last many more years.

Anyway - any of the trucks will do OK (depending on your packing habits) - obviously more truck is better, but balance that with your needs and budget.

Good luck!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote