View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DarMar,
We started with a F250SD PSD, long bed, crew cab, SRW. It pulled just fine and did not get blown around too much on the road. I was very pleased with the towing qualities. It would move a little bit when passed by an 18 wheeler if the wind was blowing really hard. But in just regular wind and driving conditions there was no problem.

My problem came when I would have to come to a quick stop. The trailer would give me a little bit of the "Tail wagging the dog" syndrome. I did not like that. And while I was not over the weight limit I was within a few pounds of being over ..... especially on the rear axle. The 3295RK is one of the heavier pin weight models.

So we either needed a lighter trailer (wife said that wasn't going to happen) or we needed more truck. I wanted a Volvo like FireTrucker has (wife said that wasn't going to happen) So we started looking at slightly larger trucks. Found a F450SD PSD 7.3 (same as 250). The 450 gives me much more of a weight margin with the Monty. At the time it only came in dual wheel version. I was not wild about that but since it appeared that was all we could get we made the change.

It is slightly more stable than a SRW but hardly noticeable. The major difference I noted between the 250 and the 450 was the ride. The 450 rides like a truck. The 250 rides like a car.

Sure you can't park in some spots because the battleship is just too large. And you can't go thru regular car washes.... there are some exceptions. But these types of things you make adjustments for. Having to buy two extra tires is a bit more of an inconvenience.

But get what you think you need. And try to get it the first time. That will usually save you some money. :-) I drive more at ease with the extra stopping power I have. The 250 has 12" brakes and the 450 has 15" brakes. The extra stiffness and weight of the 450 has pretty much done away with the tail wagging the dog problem.

Would I go back to SRW? Yes. If I had a truck that would do the things I thought important. So we keep looking. However... you know which direction I want to go! Look out Volov!

Good luck,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote