View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I applaud you for installing what you feel the best in wheel bearing choice and for posting a blow by blow account. For others contemplating this job ... a reminder about what I have mentioned 2-3 times over the years about "Timken" bearings ... be sure you look on the box or packaging and be sure they are made in the USA. Around two weeks ago, I got two sets of Timken bearings from a local parts house that were made in India. Yes India. Further ... unless you have the equipment and know how, removing bearing races and installing new ones could cause more grief than simply using the originals with new Timken bearings. Replacing races can become a real job. Unless the pockets that the races fit in are clean and void of any metal burrs, they may not seat 100% and that will cause issues down the road. Masterdrago's one wheel issue may be because one race didn't seat 100% ... just a possibility. Also a bearing race driver is a must to apply the last tap to completely seat the race even if you do freeze the races to shrink them before install. I admit there are several dozen stories about bearing failures out and about on any RV forum, but what about the thousands of RV owners that run the OEM bearings without issue year after year?? I fully understand masterdrago's intent of personal peace of mind concerning his equipment ... I just want others following this thread to fully understand many of the what ifs in changing out bearings and races just because of the old ideal Made in USA is way better. We all know or should know that ideal of the past doesn't hold as much promise as it used to.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote