View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #53
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It appears the frame arrives from Lippert with the spring hangers already welded on. The spring/axle assembly arrives from Dexter and the axles are installed on the Lippert frame by Keystone workers on their assembly line.

If the alignment of the hangers when they are welded on is not all it should be, then using the wider hangers would certainly speed up the assembly process, However if Lippert were using hangers with the same width spec as Dexter suggests, and again the hangers were not properly aligned, then assemble would be a tad more difficult and time consuming. This makes a case for using wider hangers.

Maybe a wider hanger is not a major issue. When you tighten the hanger bolt to it's shoulder the oversize hanger will likely bend fairly equally on both sides to remove the extra space. When you add the Mor/Ryde part it allows it to bend only on the one side. In my opinion the spring and bolt then do not fit squarely. Given a choice I would want the same size hangers my Monty came equipped with, and which meet Dexter specs, not the over sized ones.

Since Mor/Ryde and Dexter are off the hook here, I think there is an explanation due from Keystone and Lippert as to why there is this discrepancy in hanger sizes being used. Ultimately the quality of the product out the door is the responsibility of Keystone.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote