View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #44
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I looked at the placard today, and it doesn't offer any information for the actual unit. I thought that the actual and pin weight were on there. They are not. It's just the MAX GVWR of the trailer, which for my unit is 16,500.

I'll have to go and weigh the pin weight, which I need to do anyway...
Your pin weight will change EVERY time you load up for a trip. I know myself, sometimes I take the genny/coolers full of ice/extra chairs or whatever. Some times I don't.

Maybe its just you in the truck. Next trip its you, your wife and 3 in the back seat. Some trips may be with full water, some empty. You get the idea.

For this reason everyone should be using the GVWR or the camper to determine what truck has the capacity to do the job.

16,500lbsx20%=3300lbs pin weight
16,500lbsx25%=4125lbs pin weight

I assure you it will NOT be less that 20%. And to make matters worse, the camper pin is only part of the picture. You must include any and all weight added to the truck, such as fuel/people/hitch/firewood/genny etc.

The following #s will of coarse very, but just a possible example:

So at 20% of camper GVRW =3300lbs pin+you @175lbs+your wife @150lbs+ 3 in the back seat at @150ea+hithch @200lbs+bed of firewood @500lbs=4775lbs. Clearly above the CCC of any SWR pickup EVER made.

Hell that's within 200lbs of my duallys CCC (just shy of 5000lbs)

Another consideration is your rear tire capacity. They may very well be exceeded before your CCC
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote