View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have plans on putting in two closing registers, like floor registers, into the return air vents in the steps. These can be opened or closed when needed. I will also then put some filter material behind them to stop some of the dust from going into the space behind the steps. I would also like to put the boards/grills on some type of magnet set up so the space can be utilized for additional storage of shoes and etc. As previous posters have said, there is plenty of space under there for the furnace to draw air. Air comes not only from the space where the furnace is but also from the underbelly through holes in the basement flooring and around the framework. I have already insulated the ceiling in the basement and it's surprising how much warmer the floor is up in the basement and we'll see if it keep the bedroom cooler this summer too. I also took the furnace vent going to the bathroom and put a "Y" in it and added additional vent tubing and ran it to the base and behind convenient center to keep it warmer in the winter when the furnace is used to heat the basement and the underbelly. We run the fireplace to take the chill off in the mornings and also have a small ceramic heater incase we want to have some extra heat in the bedroom but that is very seldom used because of the insulation I put in the basement ceiling now.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote