View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #31
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening,

As some of you know, I have had a continuing discussion" with Montana CS on the topic of pin boxes and how the new design typically places most of the new trailers running high in the front. During this investigation I have collected some interesting information and thus have drawn a few conclusions of my own.

1) Typically, it is the shorter trailers that have the heavier pin weights

2) Typically, much of the increased length on the longer trailers is added behind the axles. The lengths of the short and long trailers from axle to pin box is fairly close to the same on both the long and short trailers. It is this distance (lever length in the torque equation) that is important.

3) Since the lever length of the trailer is approximately the same, and the pin weights are higher on the short trailers, the torque should be greater on the short trailers. The shorter pin boxes should thus be used on the short trailer - not the long trailers if torque were the issue. And in any case the extended pin box is only 5" longer than the standard.

My conclusion is thus that there must be other reasons - such as weight distribution - as to which pin box is used. In discussions with Montana I could not find anyone who was interested or perhaps informed enough to carry on any meaningful dialog with. And since the pin boxes are already on the frames when they arrive, perhaps the issue is best addressed to the frame manufacturer anyway.

Although there were a number of other topics and rabbit trails that I went down with Montana, the bottom line on pin boxes is that I decided to purchase and install the Glide-Ride pin box. They make both the standard and extended models. I chose the one that I thought was most appropriate for me.

Dave, on the RV.net forum I read about a guy who installed the Glide-Ride box along with his pullright. He said he had not encountered any problems as of the time of his post.

I would call Demco and ask the question of them. They have been very helpful to me.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote