View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #22
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
ghuff,

There have been a number of changes to the 2006 3400RL (and most of the other over 34' models) that have made them more difficult to be towed.

The single biggest problem being that - as you have found - the shorter pinbox causes additional clearance problems with the short bed trucks. The pullrite hitch relieves some of this problem, but I am sure scratching my head wondering why the 2004 and 2005 models were outfitted with the extended hitch, but the 2006 models are not.

Second, Keystone's manual clearly states that for greatest safety, both the TV and trailer should be level when towing. My new 2006 3400RL - as I have mentioned a number of times - rides high in the front. One of the fixes is to go with a lower profile hitch. Although I do not know, I have been told that the pullrite hitch can not be adjusted low enough to allow the 2006 models to ride level. This whole issue has been quite a topic of discussion lately. Check into things before you spend a lot of additional $$ and make sure you will not be changing one problem for another.

Another possible fix is to install an extended pinbox similar to those on the earlier model trailers. I have gotten responses both pro and con about this, and whether or not doing so might void the frame warranty. Unfortunately, in discussing these various issues with Montana CS, I have not yet received what I consider to be straight answers.

One thing I do know is that I could make a hard 180 degree turn with my previous Cardinal 5vr with NO clearance problem. I have been quite disappointed that I can easily have a major clearance problem when towing my new Montana.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote