Thread: EZ PASS
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

I might add,a every once in a while I go through a toll both hauling and the booth records me as a single vehicle. On balance I think it more than pays for the service.
If you use the New York State Thruway, while towing with an E-Z Pass, you are required to have a "Special" E-Z Pass to use the automated toll booths (It is issued for the tow vehicle, with the class of trailer that you will tow), I have 2 E-Z Passes for my truck, the regular vehicle transponder (white in color) for regular rates, and a towing transponder (blue in color) that is setup to be charged for towing my Fifth Wheel, when using the Thruway I have to switch the transponders depending on whether I'm towing, or not. You can still use your E-Z Pass account to pay for the tolls even if you don't have the "Towing" transponder,you just go through one of the manned toll booths while entering the the Thruway, and they will code your entry so that you are charged for the towing rate. If you attempt to go through without the proper transponder, or entry coding they will record your plate number, and record you in violation. When they first issued these towing transponders, you were given a discount on the tolls, not any more, my advice is to NEVER use the NYS Thruway for travel (especially while towing), the rates are OUTRAGEOUS a fifth wheel towed by a pickup is charged as 4H (4 axles "High Vehicle"), several weeks ago I went 45 miles on the thruway with the 5er in tow, Cost for one way: $6.40

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote