View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, the higher rated axles resulted in higher GVWR. Nothing else changed. A year or so ago when we had a discussion on this I emailed a contact at Keystone and asked how GVWR is figured. A reply from one of their engineers said they use RVIA guidelines of GVWR = axle ratings plus estimated pinweight. A couple of years ago Montana quit putting GVWR in the brochure. Before that you could add brochure pinweight to 12,000 for the axles and it matched the GVWR in the brochure.

Brad, I'm more interested in individual tire load than axle load. With appliance location and the like, one tire could easily be overloaded and still be within ratings on axle totals. But I've not yet been able to get individual tire load. I think someday I'll go find a grain elevator with scales on a day they're not working and put one wheel at a time on the scale. Unfortunately, as fulltimers I can't just take a Sunday, hitch it up, and go find an elevator.

Bill, I was told by a Keystone person in position to know that if we are not over the axle, tire, and pinbox ratings then we're fine. We are very close on axle weights so that I have to keep an eye on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote