View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Phil P, you mentioned not relying on the Keystone supplied converter to maintain the standard house battery. Would it be unwise to rely on it to maintain any battery (i.e. I changed them to a 12 volt pair of better quality deep cycle batteries in parallel? I have found on my boat the two batteries do not charge well when the switch has both connected - they are two different types (starting and deep cycle). If I changed the 5r batteries, both would be identical. Would that be best?

Hi

The deep cycle battery is different than the standard automotive or marine battery. I have been using the AGM batteries for a lot of application that had the standard flooded battery including our Montana.

The deep cycle battery is of a different deign using a little different plate spacing and heaver acid. As Lenny K posted the manufacturer of those batteries recommend a higher charge voltage than the standard batteries.

I haven’t used the 6V Trojan batteries in the 12V configuration only in the 36V configuration and always just relied on the golf cart battery charger. I haven’t worked with any of the latter golf carts so I have no knowledge about the newer chargers the older ones used a timer to shut them of in a given number of hours.

I guess I should study up on the Trojans as our new fifth wheel will have the household refrigerator. I like the specs on the Trojan T-125 6v battery. 2 of those configured for 12V would give you 240 AH and for the weight and sizes I don’t know of anything else that will deliver that kind of power. The charger would have to comply with the Trojan recommendations to give you that kind of service.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote